Skip to main content

Barcelona news updates: Lionel Messi claim, Iniesta makes admission, Coutinho boost


Barcelona news LIVE updates: All of the latest from the Nou Camp

Coutinho transfer boost

Barcelona's chances of getting Philippe Coutinho on-board have improved.

The Liverpool playmaker is top of the La Liga giants' list of January transfer targets.

And the Reds have now opened talks with PSV Eindhoven over his replacement.

Liverpool have targeted Hirving Lozano to take the Brazilian's place at Anfield.

And that will come as a huge boost to Barcelona gaffer Ernesto Valverde.

Iniesta opens up

Andres Iniesta admits he has Barcelona to thank for his glittering career.

"It's not that I considered leaving Barcelona," the Nou Camp icon told Marca.

"I’m just in a position where I now try and enjoy each day.

"I’m aware that I'm at an age where every year I need some time for myself, to make a decision on the future.

"I am honest with myself and this club has given me everything, so I am grateful."

Messi claim

Barcelona legend Xavi claims Lionel Messi is playing so well because of Ernesto Valverde.

"Valverde? He believes in the Barca model 100 per cent," he explained to Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia.

"He’s revitalised their style. The positional game has regained importance and Messi is the one that causes chaos for their opponents.

"The wide players also have a bigger role to play as they attack the space now. There’s also Paulinho coming from behind…

"Messi? Leo can do whatever he wants."

Comments